Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Treasuring Emma By Kathleen Fuller - Part 1

I am currently on page 151 of 243, beginning Chapter 19, and this morning when I got up I felt led to do a "halfway through the book" review. I normally don't do that but I wanted to make a few comments.

While I am enjoying this book, as I do every book I read from this author, I have noticed some things that, while I know they make a good story, seem to take away from the "Amish" way of life I have come to expect in "Amish fiction." Right from page 1 Emma is the "needy" one. Having just lost her mother not too long after her fathers passing, and having been her mothers primary caregiver until the end, Emma is carrying the weight of the world on her shoulders. Add to that her grandmother who is in advanced years and not moving quite as fast as she used to, a sister who has troubles of her own with her family and wants to take away everything that gives Emma comfort, an old love of Emma's who suddenly comes back into her life, and a scheming distant cousin of her brother-in-law who thinks courtimg Emma, while wanting her married sister, is a means to an end.

I realized last night as I was replaying what I had read through my mind, there is a lot of negativity in this book so far and not a lot of "Amish". For instance, Adam, the ex boyfriend, has been under the bann since he left for the English world 2 years earlier. He is not supposed to be allowed to eat at the same table and is supposed to be treated as if he is invisible. While he finds the Amish way of life is pulling at him again his own mother and Emma's grandmother both ignore rules and not only speak with him but eat with him as well. Now I understand authors being able to take liberties, I think it's called "poetic license", but I guess I am more used to authors of Amish fiction sticking more closely to the correct Amish way of life instead of it being a passing reference. If I am wrong, someone please correct me.

Now, having said all that, I really am enjoying this book, even though I don't like all the scheming and can't wait to see how it all plays out. I look forward to books by this author because she weaves a very interesting story of conflict, both personal and religious, as well as developing well rounded characters. This book however, has more conflict than I have encountered lately and I hope there will be other books in this series based on some of the other characters in this book. Maybe the depth of conflict in this book comes from the several story lines that are going on simultaniously.

So far, so good. I will post a final review when I finish the book. Who knows, maybe the author has a good reason for doing it this way. Can't wait to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment