Wednesday, May 21, 2014

A Place In His Heart by Rebecca DeMarino

Wow! For a debut novel this one is a whopper! I was hooked from the first page and it only got better. I kept finding excuses to sit down and read. That is the kind of book I enjoy reading.

Putting your faith in God and following His leading is not always an easy path and there were many times in this book when either Barnabas or Mary though about giving up, but didn't. Picking up and leaving not only everything you know but your country to go to a new country that is still being formed can be a frightening thing but with their strong faith and belief they were doing the right thing, Barnabas and Mary set off on their journey.

Barnabas "Barney" and Mary did not have your conventional relationship. He was a widower with 2 small boys who was deeply grieving his late wife and Mary was trying to find a way out of marrying a man her father picked. Thus the arrangement worked for both of them.

I love how the author let the reader in to all the emotions and trials this couple faced. There were times when I could have happily slapped Barney and told him to wake up but the author did such a wonderful job of portraying the man and his inner turmoil that I understood where he was coming from. Mary, on the other hand, did not understand. She did everything she could to make him happy and her frustration was portrayed so well by the author. Make no mistake, Mary is a strong woman!

I was sorry to see this book end. I had come to love Mary and Barney and their story isn't over yet. Readers will find at the end of the book a few pages by the author where she reveals this book was based on her family history and what she found in doing her research. Just in reading that I hope there is another book in the series that continues Barney and Mary's story. It will be fascinating!

I highly recommend this book, especially if you are a history buff. This book is rich with the history of the time. I cannot wait for Book 2 in the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment